A few days ago, I read an article about a teenager who took her own life because she was being bullied at school.
Now, this is not the first time I have heard about something like this but this time, I decided to write about it.
One of the most unfortunate things that can happen to anyone in life is to be mentally and verbally taunted; knowing you cannot do anything about it, teachers are helpless, the school is helpless and even your parents can’t seem to help you out of that situation.
Now, if you are currently being bullied at school, on Facebook, gym class, on the playground, at work, or wherever, here are a few things you need to know:
- MOST BULLIES HAVE SELF-ESTEEM ISSUES AND TRY TO TAKE THAT OUT ON YOU: Now listen, this may sound ridiculous because they always seem tough and strong but that is only true because they have a way of getting a larger crowd on their side. Bullies hide their inadequacies and low self-esteem by being mean and rude to other people they feel or “perceive” to be weaker than them. The really cool and strong people don’t feel the need to speak down on other people, belittle them, or make them feel inadequate to assert themselves.Once you realize this, you can tell they are only playing mind games, something which you have now found out. You now need to decide whether or not you want to keep letting them get to you. I know it is hard but believe me, BULLYING is a mind game.
- BELIEVE IN WHO YOU ARE AND WHO GOD SAYS YOU ARE REGARDLESS: Life is not fair and you will always meet VERY mean people almost everywhere you go. The best gift you can give to yourself is to “believe in yourself”. Believe in the person that you are and the potential that is within you. The bible says that you are fearfully and wonderfully made, there is no other person in the world that is “exactly like you”. The more you learn to believe in yourself and who God says you are, the less concerned you get about what other people think about you. TRY it!!!
- IT IS OK TO BE DIFFERENT BUT IT IS NOT AN EASY ROAD: I love to be different, in fact, I don’t like and don’t want to be like everybody else, where is the fun in that? The thing is, people tend to judge what they do not understand; they try to bring down anything that is different from what they know. The fact that you are different, and don’t like the songs the coolest kids like, or you don’t wear the same clothes that they do, does not make you any less of a person. You have simply found yourself and decided to stick to who you are. NEVER let anyone make you feel less of yourself.
- YOUR WORLD IS NOT ABOUT TO END: I know sometimes, when you are being bullied, it can feel like your world is about to end and it is never going to get better, but it will. The bullies want you to feel the way you are feeling right now, they want you to “believe” that there is no reason to go on. That is however, the biggest lie ever! There is a much bigger world out there, where the bullies have absolutely no influence; they cannot affect who you are or who you are going to be. There is a world waiting for you out there, waiting for you to discover yourself and show the whole world how marvellous you really are!
- YOU CAN GET OUT OF IT: BULLIES rely on fear; they feed on weaknesses; that is their strategy. Once they begin to find out you are not afraid of them, or what they think about you, their attitude towards you will gradually begin to change. This is hard, I know, but you need to stop showing them any sign of weakness for them to feed on. Remember! You are fearfully and wonderfully made, you are confident in who you are in God, you are smart, talented and beautiful, and you are the best!
- YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF YOUR LIFE: Never believe it when anyone says to you things like, “you will never amount to anything”, “you are not smart”, “you are ugly”, “nobody loves you”… You are going to make something out of your life! The only ones who will be left surprised and on the side-lines are the bullies.
- FIND A FRIEND YOU CAN RELY ON: Like I mentioned earlier, life can be tough, it is always nice to have someone you can talk to and tell how you really feel; a crying shoulder, a listening ear, someone who will never judge you for who you really are. It can be a brother, sister, friend, cousin, aunt, mother, father. Anyone you can trust!!!
- TALK TO GOD: God is the best friend you can have. You can talk to God about every, and anything without the fear of being judged. Pray to God always to strengthen you and give you the wisdom to deal with everyday issues as they arise.
Please feel free to send an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to talk or ask questions